Interview with Ainsley Harriott: The Celebrity Chef Talks Food, Music and Kids

The ear-to-ear smile is unmistakable and the hip shaking only expected when you meet Ainsley Harriott. Internationally famous as the host of BBC Two's Ready Steady Cook, this celebrity chef has carved a comfortable niche for himself in the culinary world.

Having started his career at just 16 after training at the Westminster College of Catering, 52-year-old Harriott has gone on to host several cooking shows, has written best selling recipe books and even brought out his own line of convenience food that include soups, couscous and meal kits. But aside from cooking, he is also a dedicated family man who enjoys spending time at home with his wife and two children.
Here he talks about cooking and his other love, music.

Where does your love for cooking come from?

From my mother without a doubt. My grandfather was a great chef and he passed it on to her. My dad although being way a lot when I was growing up was a very good cook.

How do you deal with the tag of celebrity chef?


I don't hate it. In fact I embrace it. I think I'm a bit of a show off anyway and I think most people who do this type of thing, they are a little bit. I still have the same friends I did when I was five years old. We've grown up together and our children are doing exactly what we did. It's quite unique I've never lost these people. You know even though they see me on television, I might be winning awards or they read about me in newspapers I'm still the same person.


Not many people know that you dabbled in music...

I love my music. I grew up with music. My dad Chester Harriott was a pianist so there was quite a lot of music around. For me it was a great way of supplementing my income because working as a chef I got paid really badly.
Luckily an old school friend - we did music at school together - and I formed a duo, Calypso Twins, and toured around the world and played music in different places. I had a fantastic time, loved doing it and we even brought out a record called World Party.

I think the next best thing to food is music. It is a wonderful thing to have around and, like food, it is so different. Everyone has their own type and like everyone dances differently, music is like that too.

Do your kids have the same appreciation as you did for food when you were growing up?

They can both cook and are learning about different kinds of flavours. Things that my daughter would put her nose up at six months ago she is trying out now. Until a couple of years ago my son put tomato ketchup on a lot of stuff. This is why I think parents are a little harsh on their kids and maybe on their families when they complain they are not eating this and that. I say hold on, you have a lifetime to discover these foods, give it time and they will get there.

Is there anyone scared to cook for you?


I think it is quite interesting. Jamie Oliver was saying that in all the years he has been a professional chef only five people have invited him around. I have got a lot more people who have invited me around and they are people who have known me for quite a bit of time. New people do find it a bit intimidating and a bit strange to have someone around who they know professionally cooks so well and that can be intimidating.

What do you see in the future for yourself?


I have no idea. Future for me at the moment is to continue to do what I am doing if I still have that love and passion which till burns brightly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spacey Awards Honour 2 Legends

Famous Libras Celebrities: September 23 – October 23

The Price of Celebrity Status